Tuesday, September 16, 2008

TLC

Baby,Baby,Baby.....

Ah! memories. This is one of my favorite songs from the Crazy Sexy Cool ladies of TLC. "I require plenty of conversation with my...", you know the song!

But this mag is about hair-black girl hair. I just had a moment, indulge me. On the topic of TLC (tender loving care), your hair requires plenty of it. From shampoos to stylers, any and every product you use in your hair should pamper, coddle and baby your strands. The result is soft, tangle-free, moisturized hair that is healthy and cooperative.

I'm lovin' Aubrey Organics White Camellia Ultra-Smoothing Shampoo to cleanse my hair and scalp twice a month. Yes, you read that right. This shampoo is sulfate-free and packed with Mother Nature's yummies- coconut, sweet almond, lavender and macadamia nut oils.

Replenishing moisture at every step of your hair care routine is essential. Afro hair is one of the driest textures because its tight curl pattern doesn't allow natural oils to move down the hair shaft. Sulfates, alcohols and other harsh chemicals strip hair of much need moisture, so beware. After cleansing, I apply a generous amount of Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Moisturizing Conditioner. I take the time to detangle with a large comb, starting with the ends. It's a process, it's time consuming, my arms get tired, but like Beyonce says, "I'm worth it!"

When I'm ready to style, I have a few go-to items that give me the fabulous fluff that I craaaaaave! I apply 100% African Shea Butter to damp hair and spritz with a homemade brew of distilled water and glycerin. Now, for the icing on the cake! Origins Hair Dresser smooth styling cream makes my hair so soft, moist and looking like a pretty, fluffy cloud. The smell is a fantastic blend of citrus and vanilla. Aloe, and a trio of rich hair oils (Jojoba, Macadamia Nut and Avocado) condition and impart amazing shine.

Sometimes I rough my fingers through my hair for a rock star look. Other times I twist my hair into Bantu Knots and leave in overnight. With a quick spritz of my homemade brew, bedhead is no more and I am out the door.

Be good to your hair and it will be good to you. In my next issue I'm giving away a few of my hair secrets and letting you in on my complete hair care routine. Until next time......

2 comments:

MBB Founder and Editor Denene Millner said...

Okay, you SO made me want to run out and buy these products for my in-serious-need-of-TLC 'fro. Where do we get them? They sound absolutely yummy.

MBB Founder and Editor Denene Millner said...

Oh, right, right... I'm all natural, by the way. Don't let the picture fool you. I just had it pressed out in this one. Maybe a future blog could be about how to do this safely, without ruining the texture? A BIG problem 'round these parts...