Saturday, February 28, 2009

Caramel On My Sundae


I mentioned the Homemade Caramel Treatment in an older post, and a friend reminded me that I did not post the recipe. Sorry, folks,

The pros of this treatment are excellent moisture, deep conditioning and strengthening. The only con is the mess! I've only tried it once, and have yet to find a tidier way to apply it to my hair. If you try it and find a better way, leave a comment. I'd love to hear from you. Until next time.....

Caramel Treatment

1/4 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup shea butter (semi-soft, not melted)
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tb Apple cider vinegar
1 jar banana baby food
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup molasses
water (as needed to thin) or
cornstarch (as needed to thicken)

Using a blender, blend until smooth. Apply to hair as you would a deep conditioner, preferably in sections. Leave on for as long as you can stand (I forgot to mention the drippies as a CON ) without heat. I don't suggest overnight, that's just me. Rinse thoroughly and a. style as usual, or b. co-wash to move oil ( my hair loves oil) and then style as usual. The choice is yours. You can get with this, or you can get with that.

*Please note: I tweaked this recipe from the original http://www.nappydelphia.com/search/label/treatments for several reasons- I don't have red palm oil and I hate the smell of ACV so I decreased the amount. I was still Very pleased with my results. If you have any leftover mixture, freeze in a ziploc and use within 2 weeks. Enjoy!, and post a comment.

No comments: